Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ebi Sushi and Sake

     Many times over the years, I recall telling my wife about my starting of a restaurant blog.  I love to try new foods and new venues, and the idea just seemed to fit me.  Of course this was easier said than done because first of all, most of my finances go towards my large family.  Second of all, I have the attention span of a ......................................sorry, I saw a squirrel.  Where was I?

     Anyway, all that has changed.  My wife bought a gift certificate to Ebi awhile back and the day finally came in which all the children were elsewhere.  We were soooooo gone.  The experience firmly established the need for me to start my new hobby.

     Located in the Old City, Ebi is a posh little oasis just waiting to be found.  Lighted trees and a waterfall fill a large patio area with a variety of seating, from comfy couches to tables and chair setups.  I almost avoided the interior of the restaurant altogether, but Elizabeth persuaded me to have my sushi indoors.  So be it.

     Ebi is absolutely gorgeous in many ways.  The color scheme and lighting combination was very relaxing, and would have been romantic if that is what we had been looking for.  But not today!  We wanted HIBACHI!

     We were quickly seated and our server (Amanda H.) was very prompt.  Amanda took care of us very well for the entire night.  She did not just stop to fill drinks and give the obligatory "Is everything alright?".  She offered suggestions about our potential entrees, described portion sizes of appetizers, and much much more.  To be honest, I think the owner highjacked a charm school.  Every lady that assisted us was poised, pleasant, pretty, and polite.  (Alliteration is fun.)

     We started with a ginger salad as we waited for appetizers.  It wasn't quite for me, as I guess I am so used to the dressing that is common with most hibachi restaurant salads.  I was not prepared for what seemed to be a spoonful of undiluted ginger on my salad.  A little too strong for me, but maybe perfect for others?

     Next we received our Pot-Stickers.  There were okay.  I like them with a touch of crispiness, and these just did not deliver.  Once again, perfect for others?

     It was about this time that I was telling Elizabeth that maybe I have been eating to much fast food for too long.  Have I forgotten what good restaurant food is?  Do I not have the taste for delicacies that I once had?  Will The Three Stooges movie bomb?  As I was looking for a paper bag to breathe into, my wife assured me that I was fine, and she was feeling the same way.  Maybe this was just not a place for us.  Then she tried to poke both of my eyes at the same time.  Luckily I blocked at the last second.

     Next came out second appetizer.  Baked Mussels.  I was so scared.  What if I tasted what could be my most favorite appetizer ever.....and didn't like it?  I picked one up, put it up to my lips, and BAM!  Complete and total AWESOMENESS!  I have been eating mussels for almost three decades, and that was by far the best I have ever had.  They dice the mussels, add sriracha and a few other ingredients, and cook it all up.  Then they top if off with a slice of avocado and a drizzle of shrimp sauce.  Absolutely amazing.

     While I was enjoying my own personal nirvana, the Shrimp Tempura came.  Eight pieces of yum.  A lot of flavor and you can taste the freshness in each bite.  And here is a spoiler for the end of the review.  They have $2 sushi rolls from 5-6pm Tuesday though Saturday.  Wooohoooo!

     We decided to split the Hibachi Shrimp and Teriyaki Chicken, since we ordered sushi and several appetizers.  The portion size was enough for both of us to fill up and not have a lot of leftovers, which we prefer since it cuts cost and allows us to eat out more often.  The shrimp and chicken, abundance of vegetables, and delicious sauce were combined to make a wonderful meal.

     Although our night had a bumpy start, it turned into a great experience.  I would recommend Ebi to anyone who wants to go to a classy Hibachi restaurant.  Since this is my first critique, I tried to come up with a rating system.  I added and subtracted different criteria from my list so that I would come off like a common critic.  Then I remember that I was uncommon, so I would keep it simple.  Prepare yourselves, for my uncommon rating system.

     Would I go back to this establishment without a coupon or gift certificate? - YES!  :)

     Here are some specials for Ebi!

Tuesday - Saturday from 5-6 is happy hour. $2 sushi rolls, well drinks, domestic beers, and margaritas.

Wednesday - 1/2 off sushi and house bottles of wine.

Thursday -  1/2 off house sake and hibachi.

Everyday - features drinks and specialty rolls.

Ebi Sushi and Sake House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment